Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adding a Roth IRA contribution in Turbo Tax and FED taxes due increase significantly

We took part of a traditional IRA, cashed out a fairly large amount, received a 1099-R for the normal distribution (age 64) then opened a new Roth IRA and deposited the money from the distribution into the Roth IRA. In Turbo Tax, it asks if I made a contribution to a Roth IRA in 2020. When I check yes and enter the amount, my FED taxes go up in the thousands. Do I need to report the contribution in the ROTH IRA? It's my wife's account and she is retired.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Adding a Roth IRA contribution in Turbo Tax and FED taxes due increase significantly

No, you do not enter the amount under contribution if you converted the money to a Roth IRA within 60 days after withdrawing it.

Please follow these steps to report it:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  5. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  6. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account"
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The difference between a Roth IRA and a normal IRA is when you pay the taxes on the money. With a traditional IRA the taxes are deferred until you are retired and presumably have a lower income and tax rate.  With a Roth, you pay the taxes up front.  So that explains the high increase in your tax liability.  There are many other convoluted rules for all of these accounts and when they are taxed or not.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you do not enter the amount under contribution if you converted the money to a Roth IRA within 60 days after withdrawing it.

Please follow these steps to report it:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  5. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  6. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account"
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies