turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dick_ann

A 2020 1099-R shows a distribution (Code 7, X). It was all distributed as QCDs. Do I answer YES or No to the question TurboTax Premier asks of whether this was an RMD?

This question is being asked in light of the CARES Act which eliminated the need to take RMD in 2020.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

A 2020 1099-R shows a distribution (Code 7, X). It was all distributed as QCDs. Do I answer YES or No to the question TurboTax Premier asks of whether this was an RMD?

Under these circumstances, it doesn't matter how you answer this question.  The answer that you provide to this question is only used by TurboTax to determine how much is eligible for rollover and you rolled none of it over.

Technically, none of this distribution was RMD because RMDs for 2020 were waived by the CARES Act.

dick_ann

Thanks for the quick response!

I actually tried it both ways and the result was the same, so it didn't seem to matter.  I hadn't considered the rollover aspect.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies