turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dmertz
Level 15

8915E Overstates Distributions on 1040

TurboTax is definitely doing the correct fraction calculation that you quoted from the instructions for Form 8606 line 15b.  I've performed this calculation manually to confirm each of the examples I tested.  The fraction simply applies the basis proportionately between the CRD and the non-CRD parts of the distribution.

@fanfare wrote:

@dmertz 

I was able to get rid of "Rollover"

I could not say I did not roll any over.

I had to say I rolled some over, and enter zero.

I still get a different taxable amount from the other package which I believe does it correctly. I can see those forms but not the TurboTax forms.

the difference is around $200.

I believe the reason may be the following.

Instructions for Form 8606 state:

"If you have distributions unrelated to qualified disasters, as well as qualified disaster distributions, you will need to multiply the amount on line 15a by a fraction. The numerator of the fraction is your total qualified disaster distributions and the denominator is the amount from Form 8606, line 7."

Some of the packages I tried did not calculate and apply this fraction.

Can you see if TurboTax (Online or download) is doing that?

I can't see the forms so I don't know, but right now I'm inferring it does not.

Thank You.

Using the above figures, my 8606 15a is 164,999. (That is the $165,522 distribution minus $523 of basis).

Per the 8606 line 15 instructions line 15b would be:

164,999 X (100,000 / 165,522)  =  99,684.      The $99,684 goes on the 8915-R form line 13.

The part that I am having trouble understanding is why the taxable amount for 2020 is the 8606 line 15c ($65,315) and not the 8915-E line 19 (zero)  since more than 1/3 was paid back and should not be subject to 2020 tax.?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

The amount that goes on line 4b is the sum of the amount Form 8606 line 15c and the amount on Form 8915-E line 19.  The amount on Form 8606 line 15c is the taxable amount of the portion of the distribution that is not CRD and the amount on Form 8915-E line 19 is the taxable amount of the distribution that is CRD.  The CRD repayment applies to the CRD portion on Form 8915-E, not to the non-CRD portion on Form 8606.  To apply to the non-CRD portion the rollover must be a regular 60-day rollover, not a CRD repayment.

Got it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies