Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K Rollover into Traditional IRA Shows as Income

I rolled over a 401K into a traditional IRA. The 1009-R has G in box 7 to indicate it was a rollover and the taxable amount in $0. But at the end of my Turbotax review, it shows this amount in my income. Why is that? It certainly is not new income as it was my own 401K built from a previous job years ago and I just rolled over my existing money into another retirement account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. 

You need to check the actual 1040 line 4b or 5b and make sure it's right.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. 

You need to check the actual 1040 line 4b or 5b and make sure it's right.

Is the amount in 5b of your 1040?

It has $0 with a “rollover” note. TurboTax may want to change how they display that as income in a summary as it is confusing. 

I agree. This worried me for 30 minutes until I found this post. Why would Turbotax display this as income on the summary screen. Very confusing in a concerning way.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax displays it this way because this is the way "income" is defined in the tax code and to give the user a sense as to whether all items required to be entered have been entered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies