Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roxieminn

1099R error

The 1099R information is not being accepted as correct.  I keep receiving a message that State Tax withheld (box 14) is higher than the taxable amount (box 2a).  This is incorrect!!!  When I spoke to a Turbotax consultant they told me there's a glitch in the system.  I really don't think deleting the 1099R forms and then manually inputting them will solve the problem.  They told me to wait 48 hours (from March 16) before trying again.  Not sure what I'll do if they haven't fixed their error.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

1099R error

Since state taxes were withheld, something needs to be entered in all three state boxes or an error message is generated.

If your Form 1099-R does not show a state ID number, enter the Federal ID number.  If your Form 1099-R does not show a state distribution (box 16), enter the distribution amount shown in box 1.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
me5555

1099R error

I have  a similar problem where my school tax keeps being rejected (Fed and state are accepted) because the state abbreviation EIN and payers EIN and state distribution amount, are wrong.  But they aren't.  And the "help me fix it" doesn't work, just takes me to a place that says my state refund is direct deposit.

very frustrating.  4  times rejected and no idea how to fix it.  That's why I pay for turbo tax.

roxieminn

1099R error

I'm not sure about your situation.  However I was able to fix my problem by entering the amount in box 2a into box 16 (state distribution.)  It turns out it's an error on the 1099R forms sent to us not because of Turbotax.  I have three 1099R forms and all of them were missing the amount in box 16.  Hope this helps.

adloona
Returning Member

1099R error

In opening my TT return this morning, March 21, I could not locate my school district form. I saw the flag on a 1099-R.   Box 16 was pink and needed a number in it.   There is no Box 16 on this particular 1099-R that was flagged. I deduced that it needed the figure from Box 1, which I entered.   No school district form was generated.  I don't like the idea that it won't be e-filed.  I shudder at the thought of having to fill out the paper form myself.  Please fix this soon.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

1099R error

The state information shown in boxes 14 through 16 of Form 1099-R need to all have a value in them if there are any state taxes withheld. 

If your Form 1099-R does not show a state ID number, enter the Federal ID number. 

If your Form 1099-R does not show a state distribution (box 16), enter the distribution amount shown in box 1. Do not enter zero for the distribution amount if state taxes were withheld. Also, if there were no state taxes withheld, do not enter a zero in that box. Instead leave it blank without even a zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies