1099 R

1099 R

I have a 1099 R from which I took and withdrawal the money. The pension was from a city job, how does this affect my state return. I use to work for the city, I no longer work for them. Would this amount be non taxable?

1099 R

We do not know if it is taxable in your state since you have not told us what state you are in.  Some states tax retirement income and some do not.  

Enter your 1099R exactly as it appears when you prepare your federal return.  The information flows from the federal return to the state return.  The software will follow all the tax laws of your state to determine if the money you took from the retirement account is taxable by your state.

To enter your retirement income, Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.

1099 R

From New York State.  In the state portion it ask if this pension is from a federal, state or city.  The pension was when I did work for the city.  I answered that I worked for the city and the pension was non taxable in the my state of NY.  I just don't want to make a mistake and have to pay that money back.