Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rbholzer

1099-R form from my church pension fund.

Box 2a gives taxable amount as $0.00.  2b checks "Taxable amount not determined." This pension plan is designated for housing.  I spend more for housing than the amount of distribution.  Turbo Tax insists in listing this distribution as taxable income.  How can I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-R form from my church pension fund.

Once you reduce the pension amount by the housing allowance, only the difference will be taxable.  If your 1099-R reports only the pension and excludes the housing allowance, generally all you need to do is enter your 1099-R and you're finished.  I recently discussed this issue with another minister - he entered a dollar in 2a to resolve the issue.

You can also enter the full amount of Box 2 in Box 2a, then make an adjustment in Other Income, following the instructions below, to claim your full housing allowance:

• Open your Federal return and choose Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Choose Other reportable income, and Start/Revisit
  • Select ‘yes’ and you will be prompted to enter Description and amount. Enter the description "Retired Minister Housing Allowance," and enter the amount as a negative number.   At this point, the form 1040 will show your full pension as taxable, but the negative adjustment on Line 21 for your housing allowance will remove it from taxation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies