Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wjm2222

1099-r and estimated tax results in penalty

I took a distribution from my retirement savings, had Schwab withhold an amount equal to my estimated tax, and skipped making the estimate payment for that quarter. This resulted in a penalty for underpayment even though the 1099-r plus estimated payments were sufficient and I had a refund coming. What was the correct way to do this? It seems that I should not have Schwab withhold.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes it was good to have Schwab take withholding out.  Plus the IRS might recalculate the penalty and send you a refund or bill for more, that's common.  The amount Turbo Tax figures is just an estimate.   Have you filed yet?  

You might be able to eliminate the penalty or at least reduce it. You can go to Federal Taxes tab or Personal tab, under Other Tax Situations and select Start by the Underpayment Penalties. You will answer a series of questions that may reduce or eliminate the penalty. Or you can elect to have the IRS figure the penalty for you. It's form 2210.

It's under

Federal or Personal (for Home & Business Desktop)

Other Tax Situations

Additional Tax Payments

Underpayment Penalties - Click the Start or update button

Did you file already ?

If you check option D on form 2210 Part II and supply the information you may reduce or eliminate your penalty.

HOWEVER,

When amending, IRS says: 

"Subtract any penalty from the amount you owe reported on original 1040.
Don't try to include, but ignore, any new or changed penalty."
IRS will calculate your new penalty on their own taking your revised Form 2210 Line 19 into account  and will refund you.

@Wjm2222 

dmertz
Level 15

By default, tax withholding is treated as paid uniformly throughout the year.  If the distribution occurred earlier in the year than Q4, your penalty could be reduced or eliminated by treating the withholding as paid when actually withheld.  TurboTax will ask you about doing so when going through the underpayment penalty section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies