Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mxw
Level 1

1040-SR IRA and PENSIONS reporting is incorrect with TurboTax Desktop

I have 5 1099-R's for RMD distributions and one 1099-R for a Rollover from a 401K employer to my IRA when I left that job.  I also have 2 1099-R forms for my two State Pensions.  I entered this all correctly in my Desktop software panels but when I view the resulting 1099-R it has a BLANK line 4A and a 4b taxable amount that  is actually short by a few thousand dollars.  The word ROLLOVER is typed between the verbiage for 4b and 5b, then on Pensions line 5A it has a large amount that includes the IRA  Rollover. line 5b has 13,914.  My actual pension amounts  should have 5a 12,222 and 5b 12,215, instead 5b has 13,914.

If you cannot fix the software to reflect these lines correctly, can you please let me know how to override it to get my 1040-SR to print correctly?  I did not have this problem last year with Turbo Tax Deluxe.  This year I am using Turbo Tax Home and Business. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Check that the IRA 1099R have the little IRA box checked between boxes 7 & 8. 

If line 4a is blank that is because it is the same as 4b.  The IRS doesn't want 4a or 5a filled in if it is the same amount as the b line.  

The 401K rollover 1099R goes on line 5 with pensions.  So that is ok.  And any 401k RMD should be on line 5 too.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Check that the IRA 1099R have the little IRA box checked between boxes 7 & 8. 

If line 4a is blank that is because it is the same as 4b.  The IRS doesn't want 4a or 5a filled in if it is the same amount as the b line.  

The 401K rollover 1099R goes on line 5 with pensions.  So that is ok.  And any 401k RMD should be on line 5 too.  

mxw
Level 1

Thank you.  That makes sense and the numbers add up when I do it that way.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies