Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus

I have read all kinds of information but I am still confused.

My adult son is on SSDI and I am the payee.  As far as the 1st and 2nd stimulus if I understand correctly he was not eligible because he was claimed on our 2019 tax return.

We were not able to claim him on our 2020 return because he had several part time jobs and made more than the $4300 limit.  He also did not file taxes because he made less than the $12,000 or whatever the limit is.

Is he eligible for the 3rd stimulus payment?  Does he need to file taxes to be able to get it?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

Yes, he will need to file since the stimulus will ultimately be based on information from your 2020 return.  Since you have already filed your 2020 return, the IRS should use your 2020 return to determine your payment, however it is possible they will go by your 2019 return and you will receive the stimulus payment for him as a dependent.  Even if this does happen, you will still want to file his return as he will qualify based on being a taxpayer and not a dependent in 2020.  There is no provision for repayment of overpaid stimulus money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus

So I should have gotten the 1st and 2nd payment for him since he was a dependent in 2019?

Thank you!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

No.  The first two stimulus payment had no provision for payments for dependents who're over age 17.  Only the third stimulus includes them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies