turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus Payment: Filed as NR in 2018 but as a resident in 2019

Hello Everyone:

I am an international student with F1 status. I have filed my 2018 tax return as a non-resident; however, I filed the 2019 tax return as a resident because I have passed the significant presence test.

The tax refund got approved, and I received the refund on October 7th this year.

I am wondering if I am eligible for the stimulus payment now (yes, my income is below the threshold). If so, do I need to do anything? Any idea how long it might take for me to get the payment?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Stimulus Payment: Filed as NR in 2018 but as a resident in 2019

Per the IRS:

A1. U.S. citizens and U.S. resident aliens will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 or $2,400 if they filed married filing jointly and if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns
  • $112,500 for head of household filers and
  • $75,000 for all other eligible individuals

Taxpayers will receive a 5% reduction in their payment for the amount their AGI is above these amounts.

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security retirement, survivor, or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and VA Compensation and Pension (C&P), who do not file a tax return, will receive a $1,200 payment automatically.

These benefit recipients should refer to the Social Security, Railroad Retirement and Department of Veteran Affairs benefit recipients FAQs for additional information.

For eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for 2019 or 2018, they receive the payments automatically.

For people who have little or no income and didn’t file a tax return or don’t receive any of the federal benefits listed above, they are also eligible for an Economic Impact Payment. They need to register with the Non-Filer tool on IRS.gov as soon as possible so they can receive a payment.

A2. Although some filers, such as high-income filers, will not qualify for an Economic Impact Payment, most will.

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• You do not have any qualifying children and your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $99,000 for all other eligible individuals
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student who can be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who is claimed on their child’s return.
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019.
  • A deceased individual.
  • An estate or trust.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies