Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aliabayat
Returning Member

Stimulus Check Dependent on Amended Return

Hi,

Way earlier this year, I filed my taxes for the year of 2019. This was my first year that my parent's weren't able to claim me as a dependent so I was luckily able to claim the stimulus check credit on my taxes. As I was filing them, I made sure to pay attention to the questions asking about my dependency and made sure to answer them the way I needed. One of the questions asked whether or not I could be claimed as a dependent. In the moment, I was thinking that they could claim me as a dependent, even though they couldn't, but they didn't end up claiming me. Due to that thought process, I answered no for the question that asked whether I was being claimed as a dependent but yes for the question that asked whether I could be claimed as a dependent. I found out later on after I already had submitted my taxes that the answer I picked for that question would end up causing me to miss out on the stimulus check. I ended up quickly filing an amended return but due to the pandemic that still hasn't been processed yet. It got received in April but they didn't even start processing the amended returns until August if I remember correctly. My amended return still hasn't been processed and I don't believe it will be until next year. When I filed my amended return, I assumed that I would receive the stimulus check credit after my amendment was processed. However, now that it's taking so long for the processing, I am concerned on whether or not I will even receive the stimulus check and when, if known, I will receive it. Hopefully I made this as clear and comprehensible as possible. Thank you.

Questions: 

Will I even end up receiving my stimulus check? 

When will I end up receiving it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sorry----but the reality is that you are unlikely to receive the stimulus money this year.  The processing of an amended return has been taking much longer than the "normal" four months during the pandemic.  When you file your 2020 return in 2021 you will be able to get the stimulus money you missed out on.  The money people received in 2020 was an advance on a credit you can get on your 2020 tax return.  So as long as you are NOT someone else's dependent for 2020 and no one claims you for 2020, you will be able to receive it then.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was advised this by an IRS clerk in-person. It's completely true. The IRS literally has no way to directly observe or manipulate your tax account to guarantee the stimulus check short the regular internal filing. When the IRS amended my return, the computer system altered my information on the tax record, so the EIP tool does not actually recognize my information. It's left in partial form, and I'm pissed as hell and thinking about suing.

look at line 30 of the 2020 tax return (form 1040) ..... that is where you will be able to claim the stimulus that you did not receive last spring.  All is not lost.   

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f1040--dft.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies