Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What are you moving to now that Mint is shutting down?

I'm not sure about the net v gross income question. My income has always had taxes and insurance withheld, so my income is net by default. Perhaps if you're linking a payment processor like ADP directly that might be possible, but I haven't tried that, sorry to say.

To clarify my income pay is direct deposited  as the net after tax and health and other auto withdrawals. Mint allows you to adjust that pay to the gross amount, and split COLA, insurance, fed and state tax.. This then allows for tracking those budget items separately for the year. 
can you do this with monarch? 

Interesting, I didn't know Mint could do that. If you can walk me through the steps in Mint, I can probably confirm whether Monarch allows it as well.

So far, the only one that is free and comes close is Empower.  It is definitely a different navigation and is geared to your retirement/investments as well. I also use Wave (which is free).  Wave is geared more to small business, so is also not exactly the same.  I like the actual financials to see my data in Wave.  The categories are GL accounts and you can tag items.  I also would have paid to keep mint.  I have also tried Dave Ramsey's software and do not like the way it works. I find it harder to navigate and get my data.  I used Mint while I got out of debt.  Answer IMO that is free: Empower or Wave.  Very disappointed Intuit decided to cancel it instead of offer at a price. 

Net pay can be grossed up and various deducts can then be made within Mint. 
Find a pay transaction.  Hit edit and then split.
Adjust the pay to the gross amount.

Hit split.

Enter deduction ie fed tax.

Enter that amount as negative. 

Enter remaining deducts as negative amount

When complete the balance should net zero then save. 

Also if COLA enter as positive amount 

in transactions it should show all those entries split. You can then track over the year.
Can Monarch handle this? 

If you migrate to monarch does your mint account and data close? Or can you continue to use Mint Just in case you want to ho another direction to migrate yur data? 

As far as I understand, only migrating to CK will cause your Mint account to close. I have tried several different ones, without any problems returning to Mint to download an updated csv export.

I will say that of the ones I have tried, Empower has been the best. But, I do have an account which cannot be connected. If I could manually import that account, or add the transactions manually, it would be my choice. But any manual account is limited to only a balance, which must be manually updated periodically.

Thank you for the info about Wave, I will look at that one.

I don't believe so, but my understanding is that Mint shut down March 23.  That was extended from Jan 1 2024.  

I exported all of my data and then imported it to Monarch to see how it was.  Mint50 will give you 30 days free and then 50% off the first year which is $49.99. I would rather pay for something that is not going away.  Some of my research said that the creator of Monarch Money is the same person who originally wrote Mint and sold to Intuit.  It is very similar and reports are in beta.  Monarch has been the closest to Mint but is not free.  

Great question! I have Monarch.  If you click the arrow at the right of the transaction, it opens the detail.  You can then hit the split button and split just like you did in Mint.  It will show as 2 pieces in the transaction list just as it did in Mint.  I just tested it.  You can add a gross wage line and it will allow the negative amounts for deductions to come back to the net.  

Beyond frustrating!

Ive tried Credit Karma and absolutely hate it! I do not need credit, creditcard, bank services etc. Credit Karma is more for people with bad credit who is looking to improve tier credit or people just starting out developing credit. I also tried Quicken, Quickbooks online, Monarch, to list but a few. None as good as MINT. Now I see Fidelity is offering Emoney connections and in FULL VIEW I can see and track all my accounts. Only problem is it is not available on mobile so will always need to check in on computer.  

Grrrr!!!!

Were you able to download your transactions? I made the mistake of migrating before downloading, and now I cannot access my data going back to 2008. CK support is about as much help as you might expect.

I just switched to Monarch Money and love it. A former Mint product manager and others worked on the Monarch product. It does cost $99 per year, but no advertisements or pushing of products. Apply promo code mint50 to get 50% of annual fee and a 30 day free trial before you are charged for first year. Just cancel before it is charged.

You can download transactions from Mint and load into Monarch, however I chose to just start with all new connections and let it pull in whatever transactions it could. I was surprised that the first sync pulled in many of my transactions from all of last year. I was most interested in seeing my Net Worth, but really seems to have all of the cash flow, spending, budgeting, goal setting you would want.

I did my research before choosing Monarch, just Google it, but with a 30 day free trial there is really nothing to lose other than the time it takes to perform the initial setup and syncing with all of your accounts. 

I hate this and miss Mint.   All I get are ads.  Is there another good option? 

Been following and commenting on this occasionally. Migrated to Monarch on the 30 day trial and 50% off 1st yr. 
Took some time to create correct transaction category links. And like Mint a few problem financial institutions don’t link. Uploaded manually until the create that link. But generally it mirrors mint w account, transaction, budget and investment tracking.  I don’t do investment transactions. Leave that to my financial advisor.
Able to transfer last year info set up budget for 2024. some things seemed to be missing. You need to open all the categories to check the individual transactions.  
Happy I can monitoring things from my phone just like mint.  I want to see about migrating my remaining data since 2010. 

For a plan B may move things to Credit karma as back up to retain my historical data since it’s free as I understand. 

My mint won’t transfer to CK. The little bit I saw about CK is way inferior. I don’t care about my credit. I don’t need a credit card. CK is all adverts regarding the two. I am an investor on 5 or 6 platforms and Mint helped me keep track of all investment portfolios. I’ve tried Co-Pilot money, Monarch, quicken, QuickBooks online. None as good as mint. In the end I think best will be Quicken for those who invest and don’t care about credit or credit ratings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies