turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

G76808
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

I was not eligible for the first and second round stimulus checks in early 2020 because I was a dependent . Now, I have filed my own taxes and am no longer a dependent. I was eligible and received the recovery rebate stimulus of $1800 with my 2020 tax return. I have a valid SSN and I’m under the $75,000 threshold. 

Am I (still) eligible for the third stimulus check that is upcoming? The IRS website cannot fetch if I’m eligible or not. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

34 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Third stimulus check

Unfortunately, now that the new package has been signed, IRS now has to get busy and change the IRC tax code to adapt to what it contained.

TurboTax must wait until IRS changes are made public until they can make changes to the software.

Here are some links with some additional information for you:

How will the third stimulus package affect me

This means if you qualify for a third stimulus check, you could get up to $1,400 for each taxpayer in your household plus $1,400 for each dependent.

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

To find out if you are eligible and how much you can expect, visit our stimulus calculator.

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check.

The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

If you haven’t filed your 2020 return yet, you can do that now to give your most recent information to the IRS, including bank account or address information to help ensure your stimulus check goes to the right place.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has not announced a date yet, but we will provide an update here as soon as it becomes available.

Stimulus payment FAQs

Will the stimulus affect my taxes for this year? Or next year?

Do I need to file a 2020 tax return to get a stimulus check if I don’t normally file taxes?

How will I know if I was issued a stimulus check?

What if I already filed my 2020 taxes?

Can I change my information?

Where will my stimulus payment go if I used a Turbo Card to receive my refund?

What is TurboTax doing to ensure that payments go to the right accounts?

Will I get a stimulus check if someone claimed me as a dependent?

For additional information for whether or not your ae eligible for the Third Stimulus Check, refer to the following link:

Where's my Third Stimulus Check

Stay posted to our sites for new information as it becomes available

Third stimulus check

Hi

is Turbo Tax Prepare for the third stimulus check or are we gonna have to wait like we did for the second stimulus? Is there gonna be any issues for people to get their money, last time there was a mixup, IRS blamed Turbo Tax and TT blamed the IRS? Any how, is that gonna happen again?

Third stimulus check

I like how you didn’t get an actual answer 

Third stimulus check

Same boat as you. Filed my taxes for first time, get my payment doesn’t have any information for me yet. I do have a mother question to add, if I owed taxes and wasn’t due a refund but filed my tax return with my bank information will I be able to get the third or wait until next years tax return to File another rebate credit? 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Third stimulus check

We have been working closely with the IRS and have confirmed with them that they have accurate banking information for all TurboTax filers.

@Yulliza

You will get the stimulus, but it will be a check because the IRS uses bank information from direct deposits and not payments.

@jadden61

For more information please see this TurboTax Help article:  How will the third stimulus impact me?

Third stimulus check

Please check your 1040 form and see if either of these boxes are checked:

Someone Else Can Claim:

• Me as a dependent
  • My spouse as a dependent

If either box is checked, you are ineligible for the stimulus per the IRS. Your only hope, although minor, would be to file a 1040x and explain the error.

Taxfacts
Returning Member

Third stimulus check

@Irene2805  Hi, I'm wondering if I will get the third stimulus direct deposited to me as well. I filed my federal, Arizona, and California self employed tax returns on March 13th. The next day on the 14th my Federal and Arizona ones were accepted. My California one still says pending and I know that I made a mistake on there regarding my income. Will I receive the $1,400 stimulus direct deposit (I entered in my updated bank direct deposit info while filing) this week? Or do I have to wait until my California tax return is either rejected and then corrected or accepted then amended in order to receive the $1,400 stimulus direct deposit. I never received the $600 stimulus direct deposit because my bank info the IRS had at the time was no longer being used by me. I have updated my bank direct deposit info for my 2020 tax refunds though.

Third stimulus check

• @ Irene2805 Thanks for the help, so even if it’s my first time filing they should get it on time? I owe the irs about 245 but I had selected the option of having it withdrawn from by bank and entered the direct deposit information, but when I try to track my payment it says status unavailable. I really hope I won’t have to wait another year to file it as a rebate credit 
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Third stimulus check

@jadden61 You should get your third stimulus check now that you have filed your 2020 tax return, but it is unclear as to when you will receive those funds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Third stimulus check

Irene2805,

I am confused ... I received my last two stimulus payments via direct deposit ... Am I correct in understanding that I will now receive a check in the mail ???

Thank you,

Steve

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Third stimulus check

If the bank account information has not changed from the other two deposits, the third stimulus will be direct deposited.

The situations earlier in the thread pertain to updating the account at or after the third stimulus payments beginning to be issued.

For more details, see: More details about the third round of Economic Impact Payments | Internal Revenue Service

saxelro1

Third stimulus check

KathrynG3,

We, my wife and I filed our taxes early and even got a nice refund. However, we have not received the third Stimulus check.

I've been reading online that Turbo Tax and other tax service customers are having a glitch with the IRS reading the most recent stimulus payments. 

Can you advise? 

Thank you,

Steve 

Third stimulus check

I was in the same situation as OP, just checked my stimulus will be sent by mail after all in the form a check!

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Third stimulus check

We are not aware of any IRS glitch.  This year has brought challenges. The IRS is required to reconcile the tax returns and stimulus payments as well as working on the third stimulus payments due to the American Rescue Plan.  With the tax season and the changes taking place all at once, a delay should be expected for full payments. They want to be diligent and are required to follow any protocols they have been issued.  They will make any adjustments and additional payments as they complete the process.

@saxerlro1  If you still can’t get any information after a reasonable amount of time, see the IRS's Let Us Help You page for a phone number related to Economic Impact Payment questions. (see the note at the top of the page)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies