Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

The rep I spoke with at the IRS this morning said if you filed single and the box was wrongly checked, it can/will be automatically/"systematically" fixed and the stimulus will be issued. If you are married and the box was checked, they "don't know who to believe" so can't do anything about it.  

So they know TurboTax screwed people and this has happened to hundreds.... but if you're married, you could have been the idiot that checked the box and you're on your own. ?!?!  The logic doesn't even make sense. A single person could have wrongly checked the box too.  

This is insane. 

I am glad someone got the payment. But, yes, this is insane! 

Yes, I did the same check on my return and nothing was checked there.

I'm telling you --- TurboTax checked that box for us; we did not.

Just a heads-up to those impacted by the turbo tax issue. I went to the IRS.gov website and clicked on the "get my payment" option, entered my details and it said I was eligible to receive the payment. It asked for my bank information and tax info. Maybe something changed so I would encourage everyone here to go check it out. I was one of the original posters on this thread so my issue  has been resolved.  

Well nevermind.. it said my information didn't match their records... who knows : /

Maybe some other people would know... do they need 2018 information since they're basing the stimulus payment off of 2018?

I just checked (and re-checked) the IRS website and I got the same old message --- Not Eligible 😕

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. I called and spoke with another IRS agent today and they informed me that the "Your Spouse as a dependent" box being checked would not impact your payment... it would just delay it being sent; which is what happened to me. The IRS agent also told me that if that box was in fact checked... your spouse would be the one not receiving the payment (which isn't true because my wife received her check in June).

To be quite honest, it seems like there is so much GREY area regarding the stimulus payment that not even the IRS fully understands the eligibility criteria. I would encourage you to keep checking and make the calls to the IRS to see what is preventing or hindering you from receiving the payment.

I was originally told by the IRS the Spouse dependent box was checked and that prevented me from getting the payment.. turns out that's not the case at all. Just a few minutes ago I entered my 2018 tax information and entered my bank account information and that was that.. they'll be sending it soon. 

Best of luck and keep moving forward! :]

I randomly got a check today. What is going on? I didn't ammend a thing!

Well, I did amend mine and I still haven’t received anything or had my amended return processed.  Did yours show up on the tracking tool? Mine still says they don’t have enough information or I don’t qualify. 

I'm in a similar boat to many of you still, having had this box wrongfully checked for me then being !@#$%d by TT...when I called them a few months ago the first agent told me to amend my return. Then when I escalated it with BBB the TT manager who called me told me that I wasn't affected (as I had already begun the process of amending).

I just checked on the get my payment page and still not eligible. This whole thing has been SO FRUSTRATING I cannot fathom the incompetence of TT here! I will try calling IRS tomorrow and will make sure to NEVER FILE MY TAXES WITH TURBOTAX AGAIN!!!

THAT is awesome! Maybe there's hope for the rest of us ... (?) 

I'm still getting the same answer on the IRS website that I've been getting ---

"We are unable to provide the status of your payment right now because:

• We don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or
  • You're not eligible for a payment."

This is such a mess, and so wrong on so many levels and not one person/agency/corporation will step up and accept the responsibility or tried to fix it.

Pitiful

Casey thanks for the update ...it appears the IRS may be realizing their error

in denying payment.  Hoping I get mine soon to.   I filed an amendment in August 

to describe the software error in the 2018 TT software.  Again thanks, you've given

me a glimmer of hope.

Jim 

Hello, it is awesome that some are seeing a payment ... they may be realizing their illogical 

consideration to our plight.

I filed a 2018 amendment in August 2020.  It showed no dollar amount owing or due on the 1040X page

one (1)  because following the form,  it just recites if there was amending to to the actual numbers of 

income tax amounts.  So on the second page there is a narration section.  That is where I described 

about the software error in checking off that " claimed as dependent box " .   I suspect that this narrative

was ignored on page 2 and since on page 1, there was no tax difference shown, they could have scratched

their head and said "why did they amend their return ???".... Now I'm reading there in a Nov 21st deadline to claim one's stimulus ..( see IRS website)...  it provides a tool path to file for it but it's more geared to NON-FILERS who of course never filed a tax return say because of low income limits etc.

So I'm not sure if we need to do something or let this Nov deadline date pass.... just throwing this out to you all.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies