turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

TurboTax said they were in discussions with the IRS about this issue, however when I called the IRS twice about this they said there is nothing in their notes that TurboTax is in discussions with them about this. I'm going to just try the free version that is on the IRS website next year. TurboTax is not taking any responsibility for this, it seems.

Sounds like the makings of a class action suit to me ... 

My thoughts exactly!

The way that this has been handled, I mean not handled, is appalling as it serious impacts people's well-being during a crisis. 

Count me in

TurboTax is going to continue to say it was our fault (when it wasn't). We all know that we would never knowingly check a box that says our spouse can be claimed as a dependent (especially for those who do not even have a spouse ... hello) when that is not the case.

Any updates TurboTax? Still waiting... and not just to know why or how this happened but that we will be receiving what all other Americans received who were not impacted by this glitch from TurboTax and the IRS. Even if TurboTax doesn't have any information from the IRS, this company could at least show some real concern for the families who were impacted negatively by using their product. Some of us have been seriously impacted and the stimulus payment could have made a difference. 

Agreed!

PaigeK122

Agreed. They need to pay it now if the IRS isn't willing to - it's just plain wrong. I would have never checked this box. It makes zero sense. 

Don't worry, they said they are working VERY closely with the IRS. Oh yeah, but that was a month ago and no updates since. I have a lot of faith that they will figure it out.

Actually, I've given up. I have to just claim it on my taxes next year. Who knows if that'll even work. Thanks, TurboTax. Great product. We should at the very LEAST get a refund for the Turbo Tax Fees. I submitted a request to get those fees refunded like 2 months ago and I received no response. I don't think TurboTax could handle this any worse if they tried.

They wont post updates until its time to file 2020 taxes. They are trying to wait us out.

I am interested in a class action as well. I am the poorest person I know, single mom, I have struggled more financially than ANYONE I KNOW who has gotten their stimulus and I HAVE NOT! I NEED MY MONEY! 

I WANT A CLASS ACTION!! How do we get started???

artistgew email me at [email address removed]

I want a class action too. My email is [email address removed]
Lets make this happen. I am maybe the poorest, hardest working, yet struggles-the-most person I know and didn't get the stimulus yet, I desperately need a roof repair. I  file taxes every year, this "mistake" SPECIFICALLY TARGETS SINGLE PARENTS And newly single people. 

Let's take it to the top. We need help with getting an attorney

I am super super poor, single mother of a 7 year old. I am in major need of house repairs and that 1700 could make a huge difference to me. Wealthy PEOPLE I KNOW RECEIVED THE **bleep** STIMULUS!
Let's take this class action. I don't really know how to get started but this thread seems like agood place. Please email me at [email address removed]. I am going to look into an attorney.

Goauld

Just called the IRS to find out why I have not received my stimulus check for myself and two children. I filed married but separate taxes and was told I will not be receiving a stimulus check for myself and two children because I had a box checked "someone else can claim my spouse as a dependent". I believe this box is automatically checked because i would not selected it. My spouse got their stimulus check. Was told I have to amend my taxes. Now I have to mail it in and wait 16 weeks for them to amend my taxes. I just don't understand that IF someone could actually claim my wife as a dependent why would I not receive a stimulus check for myself and my 2 children that I claimed as dependents.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies