Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus Check for 9 Year Old

My 9 year old son did some acting work back in 2018...only making <$1000.  I did file a tax return for him for 2018.  I received $3400 Direct Deposit from the Covid Stimulus for me, my wife and both of my kids) a few weeks ago.  Yesterday I received a Covid Stimulus paper check for $1200 for my 9-year old because of the 2018 tax return I filled out for him in 2018.  I cannot contact the IRS (limited staffing) and a Google search did not find any similar situations.  How do I determine what is legal here?  How did he even get a Stimulus check if he is only 9 years old...I thought the eligibility age was 18 and over?  If I cannot contact IRS how do I get this resolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Your issue falls into the same type of scenario where stimulus checks are mistakenly being sent to deceased individuals.  Mistakes in the IRS databases are causing this problem.

Hold onto the check and wait for the IRS to issue guidance on how this should be handled.  The Right thing to do is to return the check received by your son.  I am sure that you completed his 2018 tax return correctly by indicating on his tax return that he could be claimed as a dependent.  Dependents are Not eligible for a stimulus payment.

I tend to agree that it was sent by mistake and in the end it will probably be advised to be returned.  However the only return option provided today is if recipient is deceased so I will not return it under this option as that will probably affect his tax returns later on in life because the government sucks at most data related things.  I will hold onto it until IRS opens back up for questions to get an official answer.

Thanks for the advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies