turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cmws8198

Home Buyout

Hi there, 

my ex-husband and I divorced almost four years ago. He stayed in the house we own and is buying me out of my share. He’s not doing a mortgage refinance but is borrowing the money from his parents. With that said, what are the tax laws surrounding this scenario? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Buyout

it seems you did not live in the home two out of the five years before sale.  Thus you will not qualify for the home sale exclusion.       the questions you did not answer are - is your name on the mortgage  and what happens when you sell.  if your name remains on it, seek legal guidance before completing the sale.    should something happen, even though you ex will be the only owner, it's possible the mortgage company could come after you.

you should get 1/2 the Fair Value.   against this you would get 1/2 the basis.    your gain, taxed as long term capital gain, will be what you get less your basis.  

AKtoFL

Home Buyout

I had the same situation during my divorce. I contacted a tax professional to know my rights in this instance and what (if any) had to be claimed on my taxes. If I remember correctly, because it was part of our divorce decree, I did not have to pay taxes on it. However, I would contact a tax professional to see what the current rules are (this was several years ago).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Buyout

i agree that if it was part of divorce settlement it would not be taxable.  Usually things like a home would be sold or bought out immediately.   unless you know for a fact that this was part of the divorce settlement, you'll need to contact your divorce attorney to find out.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies