turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disabled on Disability Stimulus

I'm on Social Security Disability, I live on my own, pay all of my rent, food & bills but my mother has claimed me on her income taxes without my knowledge or permission. She does not support me in any way. What should I do to get my Stimulus?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The IRS typically grants the tax benefit(s) related to dependents to the first taxpayer to file a return. If you qualify to not be claimed as a dependent under the IRS rules (it sounds like you should not have been claimed), then file a paper return and indicate that you cannot be claimed as a dependent. This will also start action on the part of the IRS to determine if your mother qualified to claim you. The IRS will contact you and your mother by mail and request information to prove her claim. This process can take months, though. 

If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The IRS typically grants the tax benefit(s) related to dependents to the first taxpayer to file a return. If you qualify to not be claimed as a dependent under the IRS rules (it sounds like you should not have been claimed), then file a paper return and indicate that you cannot be claimed as a dependent. This will also start action on the part of the IRS to determine if your mother qualified to claim you. The IRS will contact you and your mother by mail and request information to prove her claim. This process can take months, though. 

If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond to my question, I really appreciate it. I don't believe she has the right to claim me, I think she did based on facts that I dont do taxes and no one else claims me. She did it for the benefit of her only because she does not help me financially or pretty much anything else. A mere ride from time to time but that is all. She does not house me, feed me or even support me emotionally. What would you do in my shoes? I know I am going to file a paper tax of my own and explain that she doesn't do as she is claiming to do. It's not right to take credit for something that you did not do. Again thank you.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If she did not qualify to claim you as a dependent, following the above procedure is the way to go. Best wishes!

Thank you for your help in this matter, I've got return printed out and stated everything with a letter. I do have another question if you can help me quickly. What department and address should I mail this to? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies