Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent/stimulus check

I accidentally put that I could be claimed as a dependent and that I was claimed as a dependent on a tax return..but I wasn’t. Will that effect my stimulus check. Or would they be able to see that I wasn’t claimed .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Dependent/stimulus check

If you were claimed or were eligible to be claimed (even if you ultimately were not), you are not eligible for an Economic Impact Payment (stimulus check).   

If, due to a mistake in your 2019 tax filings, you do not receive a payment for which you were entitled, you will be able to claim the payment as a credit on your 2020 tax return filed in 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Dependent/stimulus check

We can't be certain - it is possible that they may send it out upon processing of the amended return.  However, the IRS hasn't yet given any guidance regarding how these sorts of situations will be handled. 

You have done the right thing by sending the amendment as soon as possible. My recommendation at this point would be to watch the IRS page for updates and check the "Where's my Payment" tool when it becomes available.  It may provide additional information specific to your situation and perhaps some steps you can take to speed up delivery.  

The worst case scenario is that you will get it on your 2020 tax return, but there is still some hope that it may arrive sooner. We just don't have a definite answer yet from the IRS regarding how this sort of situation is expected to be handled.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Dependent/stimulus check

If you were claimed or were eligible to be claimed (even if you ultimately were not), you are not eligible for an Economic Impact Payment (stimulus check).   

If, due to a mistake in your 2019 tax filings, you do not receive a payment for which you were entitled, you will be able to claim the payment as a credit on your 2020 tax return filed in 2021.

Dependent/stimulus check

Even if it says on my tax return that I didn’t qualify for the child/dependent care credit ? I still won’t get one ? It was a honest mistake.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Dependent/stimulus check

That's correct.  However, if you filed your return incorrectly, you may file an amended return in TurboTax by following these steps:

In order to file an amended return, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail by the IRS.

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

Dependent/stimulus check

So if I amend I still won’t get the stimulus check until next tax season ..?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Dependent/stimulus check

We can't be certain - it is possible that they may send it out upon processing of the amended return.  However, the IRS hasn't yet given any guidance regarding how these sorts of situations will be handled. 

You have done the right thing by sending the amendment as soon as possible. My recommendation at this point would be to watch the IRS page for updates and check the "Where's my Payment" tool when it becomes available.  It may provide additional information specific to your situation and perhaps some steps you can take to speed up delivery.  

The worst case scenario is that you will get it on your 2020 tax return, but there is still some hope that it may arrive sooner. We just don't have a definite answer yet from the IRS regarding how this sort of situation is expected to be handled.  

Dependent/stimulus check

I want to thank you so much for answering my questions ! This was very helpful and has given me a little hope for a better outcome.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies