turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CAK

Can I only pay my principle on my car note and not be penalized?

You have to pay the minimum amount of your car loan so they get their interest that month but you can pay extra on the principal in most cases. What I did was say you are paying 300 a month and your statement indicates that 200 is interest and 100 is principal, I'd designate that another 50 or 100 was for principal. If they give you payment books, I'd take out my monthly payment and then write myself a note on the last payment that I put  that amount on the last payment.  If I gave an extra 100 and the principal was 100 at that time, I'd just fold over  the last payment as that is in essence what I did.  I  hope that makes sense

Char
Level 1

Hello there,
I read your response and would like to request for the link for the spreadsheet.
Thanks you kindly

Do you know how to send a private message?

gary_p
Intuit Alumni

Hi @Stevep0070, you're right that interest payments are higher at the beginning of the loan term due to the amortization schedule, but the actual amounts paid towards interest and principal will depend on the interest rate, principal amount financed, and loan term.  For a 6-year loan term, you would need an APR of approximately 22.7% to achieve equal payments towards interest and principal in the last payment of the 3rd year.  A lower APR will result in smaller interest payments and more of your payment going towards the principal.  Please explore the calculator below to determine how your APR will impact your repayment schedule.

https://www.amortization-calc.com/auto-car-loan-calculator/

Can u email me the excel doc sound useful

I would love the excel spreadsheet you were talking about in this thread if you wouldn't mind, that sounds amazing! I'm in the process of building a house! Here is my email:
[email address removed]
bigben425

you want to make your normal payment each month on time then within that same payment period make a principal only payment of as much as you want that will reduce how much you pay in interest by a lot while lowering you principal amount.

Davekellz

@Carl Also can you send me the graph?

[email address removed]

Farrock02

That sounds like you have a very high interest rate. The best thing you can do is pay more every month. Anything above your required payment will go towards your principal. You should also look into refinancing for a lower rate
Credit1

You can pay as much as you want towards the principal if you car payment is 400 you can pay as much as you want after that and it will.go towards the principal
waymaker3

Unfortunately, no you can not.  The most common way to lower your loan balance faster is to pay your regularly scheduled payment

( principle & interest ) PLUS an additional amount on the principle, if you're financially able to do so.   Also, shop around for an auto loan which includes a lower interest rate (APR).  And remember to never miss a scheduled payment.  If it looks like you're going to miss a scheduled payment, call your lender to discuss any options they may offer.  Best Regards, me.

This is somewhat true but you can make payments toward the principle at any time as long as your loan is current. 

I would like the link for that spreadsheet of you can please
KatieH
Community Manager

@Carl I made a change to the Community settings to allow Excel files as attachments, so you should be able to upload now! Let me know if it doesn't work, or if you come across any other file types you'd like to upload. 🙂

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Here is the spreadsheet for anyone who needs it. It's also attached to this post.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/s/dcgfr56345/attachments/dcgfr56345/other-finance-talk/389/1/intra...

Blocks in yellow can be changed. All others are locked to prevent accidents. However, if you want to unlock those locked cells, the password is "password" without the quotation marks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies