turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

itserine

300k gift from parents for a new home

Hello,

I am very blessed and grateful to have my parents offering to give me 300k to build my forever home. I own the property and don't intend on moving. I know my parents will need to file a 709 form because they are gifting me over the 15k limit in a given year. I had two questions:

1) Do they have to pay taxes on this now or is it paid once the lifetime annual limit is exceeded? ( We'll never hit that).

2) Can they just write me a check for this amount without any issues at the bank? I know anything over 10k is reported.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@itserine wrote:

1) Do they have to pay taxes on this now or is it paid once the lifetime annual limit is exceeded? ( We'll never hit that).

Only once the lifetime exclusion is exceeded will any tax be due.

@itserine wrote:

2) Can they just write me a check for this amount without any issues at the bank?

They can simply write you a check but the bank may want some sort of "source of funds" information (e.g., gift letter, bank/brokerage statements, etc). You will have to inquire as to what, exactly, your lender will require.

itserine

Thank you so much for the reply. Now, if part of that is in cash. Does that change anything with making a cash deposit to me? For instance 100k check 200k cash.

Do those funds have to be in my account for a certain amount of time before they are considered usable for a home builder?

Don't ask why they want to keep large amounts of cash at home, they're old school. I keep telling them its losing money family with inflation. 

A gift is a gift regardless of the form (i.e., whether it is a check or cash or intangible or tangible property).

Whether the builder wants to accept currency as payment is up to the builder.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies