shmif13

I am in the military stationed outside of California, do I have to file state taxes where I am and California non-resident?

I am active duty military and have been stationed in Kansas for the past two years.  I did not earn any income in California during 2020 and filed as a non-resident.  Do I still have to file Kansas state taxes?  My LES and W-2 show CA state tax withholdings.  Thank you for any help.

DMarkM1

You do not need to file a return to report your military pay.  See the question "What if I am stationed in Kansas" in this link.

However if you income from a non-military source earned in KS you would need to file a return for that income.  TurboTax will help with that once you select the "other state income" topic in the "My Info" tab.  

DMarkM1