Juliaslopez

how to fix your W-4 withholding

macuser_22

how to fix your W-4 withholding

What do you mean "fix"? 

Just submit a new W-4 to your employer with the new withholding that you want.  That will only affect the amount for withholding for the rest of 2020.

Juliaslopez

how to fix your W-4 withholding

My employer cannot help me change my exceptions on my W-4 withholding because of the new system. They are not taking any taxes out of my paycheck which will affect my income tax next year so the withholding has to change. I have tried to put it at 2 but it will not change it what do I do? Where can I go to get this fixed besides the irs.gov.

VictoriaD75

how to fix your W-4 withholding

Only your employer has control over the withholding amounts when they process your paycheck. They are required to withhold taxes. They will need to correct the error. This is not optional for the employer.

In the meantime, you may want to make estimated tax payments to the IRS to ensure you do not have a large balance due when you file your 2020 tax return.

Form 1040-ES Estimated Tax Payments