Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How much should the penalty be for cashing out tradational ira?

Ok so here is my issue while trying to figure this out.  I lost 130 lbs  which left me with hanging skin that I would like to remove.  It is cosmetic surgery so insurance will not cover it so that leaves me to figure out how to pay for it. I don't have a lot of extra money so the less I would have to borrow to pay for it would be better. My main retirement is with the teachers retirement plan so I am not touching that.  What I do have and this is my question is I have a traditional ira with vanguard.  I put 5000 in to it when I worked with my old employer and it has grown to 9600.  I have not done anything with it in years just let it sit.  If I with drew all the money, I know I would have to put it on my taxes as income and pay taxes for it  like it was income. I am also guessing because I am only 50 that I would still have to pay a 10 percent penalty. Would this be charged by the irs itself and pay that all at tax time? what percentage of the 9600 would I actually need to put aside  to pay?  if I took out less than my initial contribution I know that would be taxed but would that also be hit with a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you withdraw from your Traditional IRA before age 59 1/2, you have to pay tax at your marginal rate plus a 10% early withdrawal penalty. You pay this whether you withdraw any amount, whether more or less than your initial contribution.

Let's take an example: if your marginal tax rate is 22%, then you will have to pay 22% + 10% = 32% of $9,600, which a total tax of $3,072.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, that is the best answer I have heard all day. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies