Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wrjerden
Returning Member

How Much can we put into an IRA if we file jointly and have 58,000 income which includes 18K social security

Hello; Need some advice   How Much can we put into an IRA if we file jointly and have 58,000 income which includes 18K social security.   We are both over age 55

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How Much can we put into an IRA if we file jointly and have 58,000 income which includes 18K social security

Age 50 or older you can contribute up to $7,500 to an IRA provided you have taxable compensation of $7,500 or greater.

Go to this IRS website for IRA contribution information - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

wrjerden
Returning Member

Thank You 

I am a 70.5 year old man.  I have $18K Social Security only. No other income.

Am I allowed to contribute to an IRA ?

I am married and have a wife age 56 who also earns $40K 

Thank You !

As stated in the IRS website under Spousal IRA's - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-ira-contribution-li...

If you file a joint return, you may be able to contribute to an IRA even if you didn’t have taxable compensation as long as your spouse did. Each spouse can make a contribution up to the current limit; however, the total of your combined contributions can’t be more than the taxable compensation reported on your joint return.

So, yes you can contribute to an IRA since your spouse has taxable compensation and you will be filing as Married Filing Jointly.  

Since your spouse has taxable compensation of $40,000 she can contribute up to $7,500 to her IRA and you can contribute up to $7,500 to your IRA.

An IRA is per person, not combined, hence the name Individual Retirement Account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies