turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mabe
Level 1

home office

MY DAUGHTER IS AN ON LINE HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER IS PAID BY HER EMPLOYER AS A REGULAR EMPLOYEE AND RECEIVES ALL HER WAGES ON W-2     SHE HAS SET UP ONE ROOM IN HER HOME (WHICH SHE OWNS) AS A FULL TIME OFFICE   IT IS USED 100% AS AN OFFICE     HOW DO I GET THE HOME OFFICE DEDUCTION FOR THIS EXPENSE 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

home office

Employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return, including home office expenses, due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

Mabe
Level 1

home office

Thank You     I didn't realize  that they changed that part-----can I still use expenses that she used to buy desk, chair and lamps?

Mabe
Level 1

home office

Being a teacher/  aren't they allowed to take expenses because of profession

home office

@Mabe wrote:

Thank You     I didn't realize  that they changed that part-----can I still use expenses that she used to buy desk, chair and lamps?

Sorry, desk, chairs and lamps would not fall under the qualified expenses an educator could enter on their tax return as an Adjustment to Income on Schedule 1 Line 10 of Form 1040.

Go to IRS Form 1040 instructions page 84 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf#page=84

Educator Expenses
If you were an eligible educator in 2019, you can deduct on line 10 up to $250 of qualified expenses you paid in 2019. If you and your spouse are filing jointly and both of you were eligible educators, the maximum deduction is $500. However, neither spouse can deduct more than $250 of his or her qualified expenses on line 10. An eligible educator is a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal, or aide who worked in a school for at least 900 hours during a school year.
Qualified expenses include ordinary and necessary expenses paid:
• For professional development courses you have taken related to the curriculum you teach or to the students you teach; or
• In connection with books, supplies, equipment (including computer equipment, software, and services), and other materials used in the classroom.
An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your educational field. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your profession as an educator. An expense doesn’t have to be required to be considered necessary.
Qualified expenses don’t include expenses for home schooling or for nonathletic supplies for courses in health or physical education 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies