Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alex888
Returning Member

First and Second stimulus check

Hi everyone, I am over 18 years old. My mom claimed me as dependent on 2018 and 2019. I made more than 75000 dollars on 2020. Can I get the First and Second stimulus check back on my 2020 tax return? Thanks so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

For the first stimulus, the $1,200 payments for individuals phased between $75,000 and $99,000.  For the second stimulus, the $600 payment phases out completely at $87,000 AGI for individuals.  Both of these stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit.   If you didn't receive one or both, and you qualify (according to your 2020AGI), you will receive as a credit on your 2020 tax return.  For more information, see:

How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alex888
Returning Member

I am over 18 years old. My mom claimed me as dependent on 2018 and 2019. I made more than 75000 dollars on 2020. Can I get the First and Second stimulus check back on my 2020 tax return? Thanks so much!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on how much over $75,000 your adjusted gross income was for 2020. Please see answer stated by DavidD66 above for phase out amounts. 

@Alex888

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alex888
Returning Member

Hi Lenah, I am over 18 years old. My mom claimed me as dependent on 2018 and 2019. I didn't file tax for 2018 and 2019. I made more than 75000 dollars on 2020. Can I get the First and Second stimulus check back on my 2020 tax return? Thanks so much!

@LenaH 

You keep repeating your first question.  How much over 75,000 did you make?  It phases out between 75,000 and 99,000.  So you will get less than the 1,200 and 600 for the 2 rounds.  

If you were claimed as a dependent in 2019 but not in 2020, you can still get the Recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return even if your parents got it for you. And actually if you were over 17 in 2019 they did not get it by claiming you as a dependent. They only get it for dependents under 17. They don’t have to pay any back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies