turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lonbrat

Falsely claimed as dependent?

Hey, I have been claimed as a dependent by my cousin I’m 23 y.o ... I do live with her but I made over 5000$ 2019 year. I didn’t like her filing me as a dependent and told her not to but apparently she did anyway.

i am not working now do to the virus and had a job deemed non-essential, so I’m majorly short on cash. I just discovered that I was filed as a dependent, and because of that I won’t be getting a stimulus check.

she works in healthcare, so she still has a job and makes decent money.

how can I dispute? She had filed my taxes as well so I have no idea what stings she’s pulled. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When your taxes were filed you would have to had checked the box that someone can claim you as a dependent.  Even though you say you werent aware, they will question how did she receive your w2s and info to file. Where did the money go? 

Most likely you will not be able to dispute it being your taxes are already filed an no action was taken then.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

When you filed your own tax return did you indicate that you were a dependent on another taxpayer's return?  

If so, then you consented to this. 

However, if your cousin did not actually pay for more than half of your expenses and you earned more than the allowed amount then you both filed inaccurate returns and should amend your returns as soon as possible by filing Form 1040X.  

This is not likely to get any Economic Impact Payment to you in the near future as they have already begun distributing them based on the information on file - but you should still file complete and accurate tax returns each year. 

You may be allowed to claim the payment as a credit on your 2020 tax return filed in 2021, but there is not likely anything that can be done to correct the situation ahead of that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies