Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eek517

EIP payment: dependent 2018 not 2019

Hi everyone! I'm asking about 1. my eligibility for a stimulus check 2. if eligible, when I should expect it. My situation is that I was a dependent in 2018, but not 2019. My parents (in April/May) had not yet filed their taxes, and the IRS used their 2018 return for the EIP. Therefore, they got a dependent payment since I was listed as their dependent. I filed my own taxes (as independent) at the beginning of this month (on 7/4 because I'm super patriotic ofc :P). I have not yet received any EIP payment, and when I go to "get my payment" it says that either I'm not eligible or they don't have enough info. Any advice on this would be super helpful, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

EIP payment: dependent 2018 not 2019

Some things you are saying do not make sense.   Parents do not get a stimulus payment of $500 for any child older than 16.  So were you younger than 17 at the end of 2018?  Even if you were, in 2019 you are still young enough to be a qualified child dependent for your parents and you cannot get a stimulus check yourself.  Your parents can claim you as a dependent until you are 19, or even until you turn 24 if you are a full time student.

If you were older than 16, the only "dependent payment" your parents could get for claiming you is a credit on their tax return called the credit for other dependents--for $500 to lower their tax due.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

Review the rules for whether you can be claimed as a qualifying child or qualifying relative on your parents' return.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

The rule is if you CAN be claimed as a dependent then you must say so on your own tax return.  Dependents are not eligible for stimulus checks.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies