Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GenAdmiss18
Returning Member

Concern About Delivery Of Third Stimulus

Hello, I receive Social Security Survivors benefits and I received the first and second stimulus payments very easily and quickly via direct deposit. Here's my concern, when I filed my 2020 tax return and because I didn't have any part-time income in 2020, I didn't qualify for a tax return, which is fine. The problem is, because there wasn't any income, there was no need to include bank account information with the tax return.

Ultimately my question is this; which situation takes precedence? The IRS has my bank account information based on the fact that I get direct deposit via SSI. However, my most recent tax return (2020) does NOT have bank account information included. Am I in danger of not getting a direct deposit and instead receive my third stimulus via paper check?

Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Concern About Delivery Of Third Stimulus

When it comes down to where IRS actually sends the check, we don't know their priority of the options on the list of direct deposit accounts.  

IRS continues to say that if the recipient already gets social security checks direct deposited, etc. that they will use that information.  We have no way of know what they are going to do.

Here is information from IRS regarding the direct deposit of the Third Stimulus Check

The IRS has indicated they’re using the latest taxpayer information they have on file to issue the third stimulus payment. That means they are sending your stimulus payment to one of the following:

• Bank account information from the direct deposit of your 2019 or 2020 tax refund,
  • Bank account information you entered on your non-filer registration in 2020,
  • Bank account information you entered on Get My Payment before December 22, 2020, or
  • Banking information used by a federal agency that provides you benefits such as the Social Security Administration, Veteran Affairs, or the Railroad Retirement Board.

Here is the link to "Get My Refund" for tracking the third stimulus check:

IRS Get my payment link

Find when and how we sent your 2021 Economic Impact Payment with the Get My Payment tool.

Find help with this tool with Frequently Asked Questions.

Get My Payment updates once per day, usually overnight. Do not call the IRS. Our phone assistors don't have information beyond what's available on IRS.gov.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies