Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you move a subcategory from one category to another category?

Overtime I've noticed that subcategories I've created may not actually work best in the category they are under in Mint.  Is there a way to move a subcategory from one category to another?  I am NOT asking how to create subcategories or if I can create new categories.  I'm just asking about moving one subcategory to another category. (example: Move my Netflix subcategory that is under Entertainment to the Bills & Utilities category.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@LynnS1 Unfortunately I never got a great answer but I did find a semi-workaround. The only problem with this workaround is that you can NOT actually move your Subcategory so you will lose some longer term trending but this is how it works:

1. Edit the current subcategory you want to move by add a "- OLD" behind it.
    • For ex. you may have "Peleton Membership" under Fees & Charges but you want to move it to Bills and Utilities.  Go under Fees & Charges and change "Peleton Membership" to "Peleton Membership - OLD"
    • The reason you have to do this is because MINT will NOT allow you to duplicate a Subcategory. I learned the hard way because basically it gives you a time out message or won't save it if you try.
  2. Go to the new main category you want your sub-category to be in and add it there.

Like I said, not a perfect solution because you kind of lose the long term trending however you can still trend both items.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Please be advised that there is virtually no support for Mint on this board.

You can try searching at the link below.

Welcome to Mint Support

Otherwise, the only other resource would be Mint Chat:

How do I contact support?

LynnS1

I have the same exact question!

@LynnS1 wrote:

I have the same exact question!

READ the answer provided directly above your post on this thread.

LynnS1

I did read it. 
Spent 1/2 hr on a chat with  a person who was of no help whatsoever and she literally said she would look into something and ENDED the chat. 

@LynnS1 Unfortunately I never got a great answer but I did find a semi-workaround. The only problem with this workaround is that you can NOT actually move your Subcategory so you will lose some longer term trending but this is how it works:

1. Edit the current subcategory you want to move by add a "- OLD" behind it.
    • For ex. you may have "Peleton Membership" under Fees & Charges but you want to move it to Bills and Utilities.  Go under Fees & Charges and change "Peleton Membership" to "Peleton Membership - OLD"
    • The reason you have to do this is because MINT will NOT allow you to duplicate a Subcategory. I learned the hard way because basically it gives you a time out message or won't save it if you try.
  2. Go to the new main category you want your sub-category to be in and add it there.

Like I said, not a perfect solution because you kind of lose the long term trending however you can still trend both items.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for posting this solution. I have been wondering why the category/subcategory system is so stubborn. Somehow my CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS ended up under TRANSFERS  instead of BILLS. I'm not really sure how that even happened. At least I can correct it--will probably do it December 31 so 2024 will be correct. There are a few other things I could clean up too. Hmmmm, better write myself several reminders now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies