Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I vote in the state of our second home even though my kids attend public school in our primary residence?

We have two homes and due COVID we have spent the majority of 2020 in our second home which is in a neighboring state.  We work virtually and kids go to public school virtually.  Can I vote in the state of my second home even though my kids attend public school for our other residency.  Both houses are paid in full and in high tax town so pay our fair share.  Just want a say in the government of our second home as have never had one and this year we spent almost the entire time here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I vote in the state of our second home even though my kids attend public school in our primary residence?

Check the information available at the government web site below.

https://www.eac.gov/voters/voter-faqs#I-have-a-primary-residence-in-one-state,-and-a-weekend-home-in...?

You may only register to vote in the state that you consider to be your primary place of legal residence. Visit our Register and Vote in Your State page for links to state election official websites to contact them for further information.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

We are here to answer questions about income taxes and about TurboTax software.  We cannot help you with questions about where you can vote.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There was a similar question asked which is why I am asking here.  I can find the thread if you need to see

Start googling or researching voter registration requirements in the state you are asking about.  There are 50 states--you have not told us what state you are domiciled in or what state you now want to vote in.  We cannot  answer you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Check the information available at the government web site below.

https://www.eac.gov/voters/voter-faqs#I-have-a-primary-residence-in-one-state,-and-a-weekend-home-in...?

You may only register to vote in the state that you consider to be your primary place of legal residence. Visit our Register and Vote in Your State page for links to state election official websites to contact them for further information.

MA is where my kids go to school (Virtually) at what was always been our primary but we have spent almost all of our 2020 at second home in NH due to COVID-19 

I have had NH residency in the past.  Will obviously switch everything needed. 

@Bt0212 Since you have been an NH resident in the past, you are probably already aware of the various implications, such as any homestead exemptions that might be lost on your MA home, but you might want to review them in the event there have been any recent changes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies