Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

All of the stimulus checks.

Hello, 

I am a struggling 19 year old, who has been filing taxes since my first job in 2017-2018. 
I have not received any of the stimulus checks, and as I said I am struggling, so it’s be very helpful in these trying times per-say. 
my question is, how do I go about finding out wether I am eligible for the payment or not?

my parents are useless with this stuff because they just got theirs deposited to them. I’m confused as to why I haven’t received any payments..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

One reason why you may not have received the stimulus payments is because you can be claimed as a dependent or were claimed as a dependent on your parents income tax return or any other person's tax return. You may not be eligible. Whoever claimed you may have received some stimulus money for you as a dependent.

Please see the eligibility requirements below for the first, second and third stimulus payments. 

To be eligible for the first stimulus payment: Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200  ($2,400  for a joint return) if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.

To be eligible for the second stimulus payment, your adjusted gross income (AGI) is below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

You should receive $600 per individual plus $600 per qualifying child.

For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $198,000

You can find your 2019 AGI on line 8b of your Form 1040.

To be eligible for the third stimulus, you need to meet the following requirements: 

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ira472

nobody claimed me.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

If no one is claiming you in 2021 and you do not meet the definition of anyone's dependent, then you should be able to get your missing third stimulus payment in the form of a credit on your 2021 tax return. To claim the credit:

1. Enter all of your federal return information as you would normally
  2. During the Federal Review, we’ll check if you meet eligibility requirements for the stimulus payment
  3. If you meet the requirements, you'll see the Did you get a third stimulus? screen
  4. Answer a few questions about any payments you've already received and then we'll let you know if the Recovery Rebate Credit applies

@ira472

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies