itserine

300k gift from parents for a new home

Hello,

I am very blessed and grateful to have my parents offering to give me 300k to build my forever home. I own the property and don't intend on moving. I know my parents will need to file a 709 form because they are gifting me over the 15k limit in a given year. I had two questions:

1) Do they have to pay taxes on this now or is it paid once the lifetime annual limit is exceeded? ( We'll never hit that).

2) Can they just write me a check for this amount without any issues at the bank? I know anything over 10k is reported.

tagteam

300k gift from parents for a new home

@itserine wrote:

Only once the lifetime exclusion is exceeded will any tax be due.

@itserine wrote:

2) Can they just write me a check for this amount without any issues at the bank?

They can simply write you a check but the bank may want some sort of "source of funds" information (e.g., gift letter, bank/brokerage statements, etc). You will have to inquire as to what, exactly, your lender will require.

itserine

300k gift from parents for a new home

Thank you so much for the reply. Now, if part of that is in cash. Does that change anything with making a cash deposit to me? For instance 100k check 200k cash.

Do those funds have to be in my account for a certain amount of time before they are considered usable for a home builder?

Don't ask why they want to keep large amounts of cash at home, they're old school. I keep telling them its losing money family with inflation. 

tagteam

300k gift from parents for a new home

A gift is a gift regardless of the form (i.e., whether it is a check or cash or intangible or tangible property).

Whether the builder wants to accept currency as payment is up to the builder.