Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC

Although my initial question was answered, I still cannot determine how to offset the money from a 1099-NEC. I reported it as sporadic income as it was a one-time event.  I do not see anywhere in the TurboTax program to enter an expense to offset it as suggested......(my apologies if I'm being dense about this).

Our County Natural Resources Div. paid us from a Grant to perform habitat enhancement on our property.  We, in turn, paid that money to a business to do the work for us, so we did not incur income from this project, in fact, it cost us more than the allocated grant money.

There has to be some way to offset the money from the Grant as it was not income and was used for the intended purpose it was allocated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC

Yes, if you did not enter/report the income as self-employment income then there is no place to enter off-setting expenses. If, however, you enter the form as self-employed income (don't select one-time/sporadic) and treat it as a business then you can enter the expenses to offset it.  

Selecting one-time/sporadic directs the income to be treated like "Hobby" income and you cannot deduct expenses at the federal level. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies