turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The military MyPay site is down and I can't retrieve my W-2 so I don't know the gross income or withholding amounts. In military out of country. Need to file 2 mo. extens

Currently in U.S. Marines based in Okinawa as I have been throughout 2016 to the present.  Don't know my gross income and withholding amounts as the military MyPay system is down and I can't retrieve my W-2.  Would like to file two month extension.  Do I need to provide those amounts on the form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

The military MyPay site is down and I can't retrieve my W-2 so I don't know the gross income or withholding amounts. In military out of country. Need to file 2 mo. extens

If you need a 2-month extension, you do not need to file anything at this time. 

When you get your DFAS Form W-2, however, you'll have to file your return by mail because you need to attach a statement explaining why you qualified for the 2-month extension.

Automatic 2-month extension.   You are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay federal income tax if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and on the regular due date of your return: 
  • You are living outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

• You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico.

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15. Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Married taxpayers.   If you file a joint return, either you or your spouse can qualify for the automatic extension. If you and your spouse file separate returns, this automatic extension applies only to the spouse who qualifies for it.

How to get the extension.   To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

If you need a 2-month extension, you do not need to file anything at this time. 

When you get your DFAS Form W-2, however, you'll have to file your return by mail because you need to attach a statement explaining why you qualified for the 2-month extension.

Automatic 2-month extension.   You are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay federal income tax if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and on the regular due date of your return: 
  • You are living outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

• You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico.

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15. Even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Married taxpayers.   If you file a joint return, either you or your spouse can qualify for the automatic extension. If you and your spouse file separate returns, this automatic extension applies only to the spouse who qualifies for it.

How to get the extension.   To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies