turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military Stationed in Korea-Indiana County residence

My son is in the US Army stationed in South Korea.  Indiana wants you to give them a county of residence.  The instructions said to pick out of state other state because the military does not hold out local taxes and they should not pay local income tax because they did not live or work in a county.  When the Indiana state tax updated it will not submit unless I pick a county and the instructions have changed.  If I pick a county he will have to pay state taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Indiana residents who are ".. members of the armed forces are taxable on all income, regardless of source".  Ref:Indiana INFORMATION BULLETIN #27 INCOME TAX NOVEMBER 2018

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

He never lived or worked in Indiana 1 day last year. I have read the instruction and spoke with the Indiana department of Revenue. They all tell me to do what I have done. That was enter 00 other county out of state.  But Turbo tax will not let me file because It does not like that.  I spoke with a turbo tax person and they told me to wait for the next update. I have waited 3 weeks and did the update.  I have already paid the $25 dollars to e-file or I would just do a paper file,  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 00 works for non-resident and part-year returns.

If your son lived in IN part of the year, joined the military and changed his home of record, then a part year return would be correct for the income earned before changing his HOR.

According to the IN state website  regarding military, if your Home of Record is IN, your income is taxable. 

If you have no IN income, then you do not need to file an IN return. If non-resident with no income, don't file.

If you are unable to get the part-year to work correctly,  use the following link for a customer support number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies