turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pennsylvania state tax return for active duty military couple

My spouse and I are both active duty military (filing jointly on our federal return). My spouse is a resident of Pennsylvania and I am a resident of Washington. We are both stationed together in a state other than Washington/Pennsylvania. We understand that my spouse is required to file tax return in Pennsylvania even though her out-of-state military income is non-taxable; however, is her investment income still claimed/taxed in Pennsylvania (1099-DIV, 1099-INT, capital gains, etc.)? To further complicate the question, our investment accounts are mutually owned so the income is not solely hers.

Thank you for any assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes, her investment income would be still taxed in Pennsylvania. To enter the investment income you could either go by which SSN is on the forms or you could claim them to both of you and make adjustments when you get to her Pennsylvania state return for example "Adjust Federal Interest Income" and choose Nominee Distribution and enter half the amount. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes, her investment income would be still taxed in Pennsylvania. To enter the investment income you could either go by which SSN is on the forms or you could claim them to both of you and make adjustments when you get to her Pennsylvania state return for example "Adjust Federal Interest Income" and choose Nominee Distribution and enter half the amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies