My husband is in the military and were station in Hawaii. Were both from cali and claimed it as our state through the Military spouse residency relief act. I work in Hawaii, was I suppose to claim Hawaii instead of cali?

You, In fact should have claimed hawaii, although it will alter your tax return significantly, due to different tax rates etc. i would double check the military residency relief act, because its a eh line to go down i know a few people that did it the way you did and they didn't get audited and still haven't. but it should be in the ACT form where it says to claim. If you are on a normal business job yourself not through the military or government paid i would highly recommend changing it. 

Thank you for your answer it was very helpful.