Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hanleycai

My husband enlisted in the military while he was working a full-time job. Do I have to select Active Duty when filling out his W2 for that job or leave it blank?

He was gone for boot camp and AIT and was receiving active duty pay but I don't know if that means he was active duty or not. I'm sorry this is so new for me, I am at a loss for the military side of things.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband enlisted in the military while he was working a full-time job. Do I have to select Active Duty when filling out his W2 for that job or leave it blank?

On the civilian W-2 you do Not select he was active duty.  However, you are asked in the TurboTax program, in the My Info section, where you enter his personal info if he is active duty military.  If he enlisted in 2023 and started boot camp in 2023 then you indicate that he is Active Duty military in the My Info section.

hanleycai

If he joined the Army National Guard, does that change how I list him if he was partial active duty last year? It's confusing because on the National Guard website, it says they are considered active duty during drill weekends, training, and summer camps. But everywhere else, active duty is considered full-time only.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, in the Personal Info section, TurboTax asks if he was 'Active, Reserve, or National Guard', so any of those qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies