Solved: Missouri is my home of record, I'm active duty military stationed in Virginia. Where do I indicate my home of record? I've only entered information for Virginia.

Missouri is my home of record, I'm active duty military stationed in Virginia. Where do I indicate my home of record? I've only entered information for Virginia.

I payed taxes to Missouri. If Missouri is my home of record and I pay taxes there, do I also need to pay taxes to Virginia? In the state of residence entry I typed "Virginia," because it is where I'm living because I'm stationed here. Should I have typed Missouri instead?

Go to the Personal Info section and click the Edit button next to your name.  Then select Missouri as your state of residence, not Virginia.

You do not have to pay Virginia income tax on your military pay.  But you'd be liable for Virginia tax on any non-military Virginia income, such as a part-time civilian job.  If your only income in VA was your military pay, answer No to the questions in TurboTax about earning income in another state.

Here are Missouri's rules for military:  http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Military%20Reference%20Guide.pdf  Page 3 of this reference has Missouri's tax rules for Missouri-resident servicemembers who are stationed outside Missouri.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**