turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bsiver315

Military spouse living in one state working in state husband is stationed in

mine and my husbands residents is NY but he is stationed in NC as to why i live here as well. My husbands W-2 says NY state Mine says NC how do i file this? My drivers license is still NY but my working license is NC. one of my W-2s was filed with MSRRA but my first place of work here in 2015 was just filed like normal. please help!! Im so confused....
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

You will both file a NY resident tax return, and report all your income (even NC). This is done automatically by the program as long as you select both select NY as your State of Residence. 

Do not check "I lived in another state in 2015". This question is intended to identify taxpayers who have changed their state of residence during the year. As an active-duty military family, your state of residence didn't change (unless you took action with DFAS to change it). 

You will have to file a NC return to get a refund of any NC taxes withheld by your employer. You can stop further withholding by filing  Form NC-4EZ with your employer.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

The NY state return interview will ask several questions about your husband's military service - if he was out of the state all year, did not maintain a physical residence in NY, did maintain a physical residence in NC, his military pay should be exempt from NY Tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You will both file a NY resident tax return, and report all your income (even NC). This is done automatically by the program as long as you select both select NY as your State of Residence. 

Do not check "I lived in another state in 2015". This question is intended to identify taxpayers who have changed their state of residence during the year. As an active-duty military family, your state of residence didn't change (unless you took action with DFAS to change it). 

You will have to file a NC return to get a refund of any NC taxes withheld by your employer. You can stop further withholding by filing  Form NC-4EZ with your employer.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300

The NY state return interview will ask several questions about your husband's military service - if he was out of the state all year, did not maintain a physical residence in NY, did maintain a physical residence in NC, his military pay should be exempt from NY Tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies