Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military Retirement Deduction NC

I am filling out my State of North Carolina tax return and I am being told that North Carolin allows a dedication for certain benefits received by a retired military member.  I need assistance to determine if I qualify.  I am a 20 year veteran.

Do I qualify for this deduction?

Beginning in 2021, the following retirement payments received from the United States government that are included in federal income are allowed a deduction on your North Carolina tax return:

* Military retirement payments received by a retired member who served at least 20 years in the military or who was medically retired from the military.

* Payments from the Survivor Benefit Plan to a beneficiary of a retired member who served at least 20 years in the military or who was medically retired from the military.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don’t really provide much information to base a conclusion on, but you state the qualifications for the exclusion correctly.  

If you meet those requirements, you should qualify for the military exclusion on Line 20 of D-400 Schedule S, 2021 N.C. Adjustments for Individuals.  

Note, however, that the deduction doesn’t apply to severance payments received by a member of the Armed Forces who was separated from the military.  

Additionally, you wouldn’t qualify if you were a military retiree who deducted the same retirement income on Line 19 under Bailey v. State of North Carolina. 

See the North Carolina Individual Income Tax Instructions for more information.

John,

Thanks for your response.  I apologize for not being clear in my request.  I am currently filing my state return and came to the point asking if I was a military retiree and had received retirement pay from the Federal government.  If that was the case (I retired with 20 years), I could deduct that military retirement (if it is part of my federal tax return income).  This tax deduction sounds too good to be true, but it, in fact, is true.

I found the following link in another reply on this community site and found the information I needed!  

Again, thanks for responding.  After being retired from the USAF for over 25 years and filling taxes, this is indeed a first.  

Be blessed.

Robert Jones

https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/military-retirement

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies