turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Military Pension being charged early withdrawal penalty.

My husband and I have the desktop version.  When finished entering the 1099-R, and pressing the non-qualified button, the expected screen does not appear.  Usually, the next screen asks you to identify the non-qualified plan.  This year it goes to the Yes/No screen and asks are you taking payments before 59 1/2.  And then it tacks on another $1000 in owed taxes, making total owed taxes $3550.  On $7000+ taxable income.  Seriously?  You have a coding issue you need to fix.  The incorrect hyperlink from the non-qualified button needs to be fixed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Pensions are not eligible for an early withdrawal penalty unless for some reason there is an incorrect code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R that you entered.  What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R?

I understand that.  It is Code 7.  It is a programming issue.  

A code of 7 is a normal distribution.  Delete the Form 1099-R and then re-enter manually to clear this problem.

However, if the retiree is under the age of 59 1/2 then the code should be a 2 in box 7 which indicates - Early distribution, exception applies (under age 59½).

If this is your situation then you need to get a corrected Form 1099-R from DFAS.

*sigh*  So fourth time is going to be the charm?  I have already done that.  I have also unenstalled the program, reinstalled, and checked for updates for the 100th time.  I have even turned the computer off and then back on.  Because if something as simple as deleting would work, why not all the rest.  IT'S A PROGRAMMING ISSUE.  THE HYPERLINK ON THE "NON-QUALIFYING PLANS" IS BROKEN.  

@tracyecrider I just entered a Form 1099-R using the DFAS FEIN of  34-0727612 with a box 1 distribution of $30.000 and a box 2a taxable amount of $30,000 and Federal Income Taxes withheld in box 4 of $10,000.  Entered a code of 7 in box 7.  Completed entry of the Form 1099-R.

The following screen asked if the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE boxes was checked, answered No.

The next screen asked if the employment was from a Public Safety Officer, answered No.

The next screen asked if this was from a Qualified Plan, checked the box From a non-qualified plan

The following screen showed the amount paid from DFAS and clicked on Continue

The following screen asked if we took a Disaster Distribution in prior years or repaid a prior year distribution, answered No.

The program then takes you back to the Wages & Income screen.

No errors whatsoever.

This was all done using the 2023 TurboTax Premier desktop edition for Windows.

I cannot recreate your error.

Additionally, make sure that you have updated the TurboTax software to the latest release.

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies