Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi Im in the military and was stationed in Michigan. I was wondering if my wife or I qualified for the homestead act since we rented a home in MI.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Hi Im in the military and was stationed in Michigan. I was wondering if my wife or I qualified for the homestead act since we rented a home in MI.

It depends, but you probably don't need to.  If your state of record is not Michigan, you will not need to file a Michigan tax return.  And your wife would only need to file a Michigan return if she never established residency in your state of record and worked in Michigan.  Please see this FAQ with more information (especially Joe and Mary example):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300.  

In addition, if your state of record is Michigan and your only income is military, Michigan does not tax active-duty income.  So really the only circumstance in which you will need the credit is if your wife is a Michigan resident because you are or she never established residency in your state of record and must file a Michigan resident return because of the presence test.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but you probably don't need to.  If your state of record is not Michigan, you will not need to file a Michigan tax return.  And your wife would only need to file a Michigan return if she never established residency in your state of record and worked in Michigan.  Please see this FAQ with more information (especially Joe and Mary example):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302300.  

In addition, if your state of record is Michigan and your only income is military, Michigan does not tax active-duty income.  So really the only circumstance in which you will need the credit is if your wife is a Michigan resident because you are or she never established residency in your state of record and must file a Michigan resident return because of the presence test.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies