turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Information for the Tax Payer Worksheet Issue

I just reviewed my 2019 "Information for the Tax Payer Worksheet" and noticed my "Member of U.S. Armed Forces" box was unchecked although I am a active duty service member in the U.S. Armed Forces. This is the first document over the past 7 years that is unchecked. Would the IRS still know I'm an active duty military service member of the armed forces? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Interesting...I checked my personal info sheet for my Test Military tax return for 2019 (desktop software) and it's not checked there either.  (though I can't be certain I didn't uncheck it months ago...it was just a test file)

Did you use the Desktop software for 2019?  If so, it might have gotten unchecked during one of the late software updates. 

a)  Is the Information worksheet one you actually saved as a PDF, or printed at the time you actually filed? or

b)  is that sheet one you are backtracking to look at now?

Trying to think about where the checkmark might be important.

1) For "Online" software users, that box would need to be checked to get free prep and filing for military enlisted personnel...but doesn't affect fees for Desktop software users.

2) IF you had combat pay in 2019, it can be a consideration for triggering questions as to whether to include or not include Combat pay for EIC credits.

3) If you PCS'd during 2019, it might be needed in order to deduct moving expenses to the new post (well...expenses in excess of what the Military reimbursed you for).

4)  Might have been needed if your HOR/SLR state exempts military income from taxation....if that state taxes income in the first place.

5)  Cap gains tax can be eliminated for a forced early sale of home  (not being able to live in it at least 2 years) due to PCS orders.

So, if none of those applies to you, it may not have been important for your 2019 taxes....unless someone else reading this thinks of other things it could have affected.  After a quick look, I didn't see anywhere on the actual 2019 form 1040 that there is a "Military" X-box anywhere.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The Tax PDF I saved at the time i filed last year only had three pages without the Tax Payer Worksheet.

I went to the bottom of the turbo tax page after filing 2020 taxes today to look at 2019's "Your Tax Returns & documents" section.  I saw the additional pages, looked at the Tax Payer Worksheet personal information section and that's when I saw the unchecked box.

I never received last year's stimulus for myself, my foreign spouse (ITIN) or children (U.S. Citizens, SSNs). However, active duty were exempt from the stipulation of "Not being able to receive a stimulus" due to myself having a SSN and being active duty.  I just claimed the stimulus on this years taxes.  Hopefully the IRS should have enough info from 2019's Tax Return to determine I was Active Duty (military pay box was checked).  Our Tax Returns have our active duty EIN number (mine hasn't changed for years) from our employers.

I hope everything is good to go.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies