turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im active duty military stationed in california i have never had too pay state taxes but this year i have to pay 670 dollars why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Im active duty military stationed in california i have never had too pay state taxes but this year i have to pay 670 dollars why?

If California is not your State of Legal Residence (your SLR), be sure you did not enter it as your State of Residence in the My Info/Personal Info section of TurboTax.  Instead, enter your SLR.  Then, if your only income was your military pay, answer No to the question about having Other State Income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If California is not your State of Legal Residence (your SLR), be sure you did not enter it as your State of Residence in the My Info/Personal Info section of TurboTax.  Instead, enter your SLR.  Then, if your only income was your military pay, answer No to the question about having Other State Income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

If california is not your state of residence as indicated on your W-2, and assuming your active duty pay is the "ONLY" income you received for the tax year, then you DO NOT file a CA state return.

When the program asks you for your state of legal residence (SLR) or Home of Record (HOR) you select the state that is listed on your LES. What's on your LES should match what is shown in box 15 of your W-2, unless your state does not tax personal income. (If your HOR does not tax personal income, then box 15 will be blank on your W-2.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies