turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

css1681

I live in Texas and work from home in Texas but my employer is in NY and withholds taxes monthly. How do I report this and get a refund while filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I live in Texas and work from home in Texas but my employer is in NY and withholds taxes monthly. How do I report this and get a refund while filing?

If you work remotely in Texas for your own convenience, you will owe NY taxes.

If your work is for the necessity of the employer, rather than convenience, you should not be subject to NY state income taxes.

To be exempt from New York taxation, such wages must entail “duties … which by their very nature, cannot be performed at the employer’s place of business."

If you had any NY state workdays, you will be taxable on days you worked in NY.

Please see the following link for NY treatment of nonresidents and part-year residents and the convenience of the employer test  .  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m06_5i.pdf

If you are working in Texas because that is the only place you can perform your work, you can file a nonresident NY return for taxes erroneously withheld.

css1681

How do you file the nonresident NY return for taxes erroneously withheld? The Turbo Tax system is not allowing it
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies