Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

milesda19

I'm trying to file my taxes and I'm receiving this error... Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available. I'm active duty military. Can anyone help? Thank you.

I'm a NC resident and I currently live in CA. My wife has worked several months here in CA. We are filing jointly. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I'm trying to file my taxes and I'm receiving this error... Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available. I'm active duty military. Can anyone help? Thank you.

For NC tax filings, E-filing NC has been delayed unusually long this year for a variety of reasons.....you will have to wait until after 24 February to E-file the NC tax return.  That's why it can't be submitted yet.   Supposedly you can E-file just the Federal tax return now, and make a selection to Not Efile NC right now, (but I haven't run thru that filing process myself yet, so don't know the exact progression of filing selections)

IF your wife claims NC as her state of residence also, and if no CA taxes were withheld from her W-2 job in CA (because she filed the proper forms exempting her W-2 wages from CA taxes since she is an NC resident) then no CA tax return would be needed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
TomD8
Level 15

From CA FTB Publication 1032:

"The Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 allows the spouse of a servicemember to make the election to use the same residence for purposes of taxation as the servicemember regardless of the date on which the marriage of the spouse and the servicemember occurred. This change also applies to California. Income of a servicemember spouse for services performed in California is not subject to (California) tax if the spouse elects to use the same residence as the servicemember who is a nonresident of California."

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-1032-publication.pdf

If your spouse chooses this option, she should file CA Form 590 with her CA employer, in order to claim exemption from CA withholding.  Here's a link to that form:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2022/2022-590.pdf

Choosing that option would of course make her income taxable by NC. 

Finally, e-filing may be delayed because some NC forms will not be available until 24 February.  See this:

North Carolina Individual Forms Availability (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have a large number of imported stock or cryptocurrency transactions on your return, it can trigger a transmission error.  Refer to the following Help Article for assistance:  How do I file my return when I see the Transmission Trouble screen?

If the above does not pertain to you, it's possible that you have Federal or State forms included in your return that are not yet ready for e-filing.  Refer to the Help Articles below to check when forms will be available:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies